Lost Person Scam

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A man approached me yesterday as I was making my way to the lrt station and asked for help. He was softspoken in a very effeminate way (translation: he's gay), and his voice was surprisingly hushed for his large bodyframe (translation: he's a big gay). Being the honest, kind, benevolent, saintly man that I am, I stopped chasing the collegialas in front of me and listened to what he has to say.

The man explained his situation. He's from the province, he got lost on his way to parañaque and he now needs forty pesos so he can return to Antipolo. Cool. I've always wanted to help lost strangers asking for money so they can return to whatever hole they came from.

And by help, I mean torment till he starts meditating on the feasibilty of murder.

See, there's more to this situation than meets the eye. Fact of the matter is, this guy is no longer a stranger. Irony of ironies, I've seen him three times before. Once in front of my office, once along Rizal Stadium and yesterday, near Robinson's place. And he's not lost either, in fact, he claimed that he was lost all three times we've met.

Yes, all THREE times, he found himself broke, lost and needing a ride home. My bullshit detector fell of its rocker and committed suicide on the spot after hearing his story a third time.

So I decided to "help along". Conversation went something like this (in Tagalog, give or take a few lines)

Me: So you said you needed how much again?
Big Gay Al: Forty pesos.
Me: To go back to antipolo?
Big Gay Al: Yes
Me: And you said you're lost?
Big Gay Al: Yes
Me: And that you were originally going to Parañaque?
Big Gay Al: *hesitant* Yes
Me: To Parañaque?
Big Gay Al: Like I said.
Me: Parañaque.
Big Gay Al: Are you slow? I said I needed to go to Parañaque.
Me: No, you said you need to go to Antipolo.
Big Gay Al: But I need to go back already since I'm lost.
Me: If you're lost how will you know your way back?
Big Gay Al: I'll ask people.
Me: So where did the forty pesos figure come from? Estimate?
Big Gay Al: Uh.. yeah.

At this point I've decided to lay down my cards. Mainly because I'm getting bored and he looks like he's starting to see what I'm getting at.

Me: That wasn't what you said last time we talked.
Big Gay Al: Huh?
Me: Rizal stadium. You also got "lost" then.
Big Gay Al: That wasn't me.
Me: There aren't too many big gay people getting lost around here so I reckon it's you.
Big Gay Al: Excuse me??
Me: See? That was how you reacted last time around too.
Big Gay Al: GAGO! KUNG AYAW MONG TUMULONG WAG KANG MAMBASTOS! (If you don't want to help, don't uhh embarass me!) *walks away*
Me: Try not to get lost again!

See, if you're going for the oh-shit-im-lost con act, I think it's only right that you make yourself lost in as many places as possible. Because if the same people keep on seeing the same you on the same place, we can no longer say you're lost. And by we, I mean the rest of the populace who seek to earn money without conning people into giving you alms and who just might be crazy enough to do something drastic about your problem - i.e. kill you.

There's a reason why we call scams "outsmarting" people. That means you should at least be smarter, or at least better prepared than the person you're going to be tricking. Big gay Al couldn't even understand this concept.

To this guy, or if ever you're in the same biz, please, do us a favor and go play in traffic.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a story here. Moroccans in Holland are generally known as chaotic people; they never fail to cause trouble.

A smart Moroccan had an idea after seeing a singing beggar earn a few bucks.

He set up his stall and said "HELP I NEED TO GO BACK TO MOROCCO, GIVE MONEY PLEASE."

Then people, mostly racists gave him [lots of] money so he could send his ass back home.

And hell, he got more than what he needs.

REDKINOKO said...

Hahaha pure genius man. I should try to do that when I stay in HK again. XD

Anonymous said...

If a rich and powerful senator can get lost in Europe, I wouldnt be suprised if the common tao get lost too.

I usually give such people "the be afraid be very afraid look" hey it works

Anonymous said...

OHHHH that really pisses me off. i saw this guy once actually [near tektite], and fell for that. the second time i saw him it was near mega, and i flipped him the birdie and walked really fast, to avoid having my fist in his face. then this one time i saw him swindle clayde! crap i was so pissed but the guy was already a bit off. man next time im gonna bust his face in, or drag him to the police or sth. eeerh!!! makes my blood boil.

--rumz

Anonymous said...

it happened to me trice or more(?) already... and i always fell for it not because i really thought they were serious but because they wont leave me alone... and i feel pity when they got kids with them... :(

the last time, an old "conyotic" woman won't leave me even when i don't have money...


yeah, shoot me for that...

 

Search This Blog

Most Reading