The Key To Ultimate Knowledge

Thursday, July 13, 2006

So I was randomly checking blogs late last night when a thought just hit me the way a brick would a glass window sheltering our president's autobiography (expectedly shattering) - could it be that I have stumbled upon the true key to omnipotence? After much more recalling and more research all over the so called blogosphere, I have come to a singular conclusion:

Crossing the International Date Line Makes You Smart.

That's right boys and girls, expats of all ages. Apparently having crossed the international date line entitles you to vast quantities of thinking power required to gain understanding of how our society works! Ever notice how the most influential articles are almost always written by expatriates now living in the States? How they always have a say on what's going in our country, why things are happening the way they are, and why the grand United States of America is so much better?

That's right. From clueless douches before they left the Philippine Islands, they've achieved the status of omnipotence, mastering the art of being total douchebags the only way an enlightened pilgrim (read: deserter) can. So here's one of at least five blog descriptions I've checked that night and it pretty much sums up the attitude of these illuminati:

A Filipino living in the United States started blogging about the Philippine political scene. He names the government, the academe and organized religion as the causes of poverty in the Philippines.

Include there the family, the media, the culture and not having any money as a whole and he would have pinpointed all possible causes of poverty anywhere. I'll make a prediction right now. In a few more years, this guy will be discovering the wheel as the single most important tool of transportation to man - that or that his secret identity is Captain Common Sense with his General Information beam to defeat his enemies. He continues:

There was a time when he thought that micro-financing would provide the much-needed capital to uplift the lives of marginal Filipinos.

Money curing poverty. Absolutely genius.

Then, he realized that the inability of the masses to rise from the quagmire is anchored on more deep-rooted reasons.

Like not having any money perhaps?

As with many Filipinos who migrated to the U.S. as adolescents or adults, Mell retains many
fond memories of the country he left behind.

I couldn't help myself from laughing hard after reading this. It reminded me of my childhood, back when I was young and stupid - except for this guy's case, only the latter applies.

And it's not just that blog. Or other blogs. I've been to the so called promised land - twice. Everytime I tried to raise the issue of the Philippine state of life with almost everybody living there, the "life's better here because you dont know how to run shit there" mentality is as prevalent as gay people in men's choirs. Whether it's boasting or just faint self-reassurance for their own wellbeing that drives them to keep on repeating that kind of idea, I'm not sure.

So here's my analogy where the expat is the med student. The medicine student looks at a sick patient, then the student looks at a healthy patient. The student says to the sick patient that he's sick because he's not like the healthy patient. Seeing a healthy patient firsthand gives him enough credibility to be able to diagnose the sick patient as a doctor. When asked what the problem is, he replies "Because he has sickness." when asked for a cure, he says "I'm only here to diagnose the sick patient since only the healthy patient is paying me."

Again I find myself asking why these people even bother talking about "our" way of life. So here's what I say to any expat who thinks any better:

You left us, took oath to another Flag and stepped on your own just to get that green card of yours. Your country is no longer our country and unless we invade your country, chances are, our concerns won't have anything to do with yours. Being able to experience an orderly society doesnt make you capable of fixing what's wrong with ours, and it's not like we're asking for your ideas anyway.

Even worse, the only news that ever gets to you are those that you see on your limited channels and whatever hits the internet (the reporting medium with the most number of errors) and your contemporary human experience is no longer connected to us.

Check your passport. You're a Joe now. At least you should be. Nevermind what other Joes think about you and your perspective towards your own. Or what sad piecemeal luxury life you're living now. Or how you get treated in your new country.

Look at things on the bright side. Your high-and-mighty-but-clueless attitude towards suresolving life's problems has already turned you into half the american you should be. Now if only you can work on that skin tone...

Until then:



















p.s.: I did not put the source for the cited entry for the same reasons as before. Baka maghalo lang ang balat sa tinalupan.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

this blog is sucks and ur just envious. we went to the US because life is better here. common sense!

REDKINOKO said...

It's all relative, loves. I'd rather starve here than to be discriminated routinely by individuals who only think they're superior to me. Operative word is "think".

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the entry. My thoughts exactly. Except that you're way better at expressing it in words. (=
And, maya, it's NOT about ENVY. It's about making a choice and not thinking that you're better than someone coz he made a different one. We made a choice to stay here coz of pride and belonging. You made a choice to go there for comfort. It all boils down to preference - which among the things in life you value most. We don't criticize you for your choice, so don't shoot us for ours.
The ONLY point made is that don't talk about things that you no longer know. You used to know poverty and probably never found out how to solve it for the most number of people. So you decided to solve it for you and your immediate family by leaving. We DO know the reasons why there's so much poverty here in the Philippines. But there is a difference between knowing the problem and knowing how to solve it. And there's an even bigger leap between knowing how to solve a problem and being able to implement the solution. Fact is that the solutions require COLLECTIVE EFFORT. I doubt that even the best president of US, if allowed to preside here in the Philippines now, would be able to solve the poverty problems of the country single-handedly.
I made a choice to stay here and contribute in whatever small way I could. I chose to improve my lot in life without trying to transfer to a different situation but instead improve the circumstances that I am in. I have nothing against people who chose to move to a different scenario to be able to become more comfortable. But I do hate it if they start thinking that they're better simply coz they decided to trade comfort for belonging. I hate it because it undermines the collective effort of those who chose to stay. I hate it coz it reduces morale of the ones left behind.

Anonymous said...

Errata:
"But I do hate it if they start thinking that they're better simply coz they decided to trade BELONGING for COMFORT.

REDKINOKO said...

Well said. Hear hear, kyle. To the left out children of ze motherland! Sig heil! Sig heil!

Or, as much as I dont want to say it, people choose to stay because the option of migration isnt available for everybody. I mean, look at the Latin Americans.

Anonymous said...

Where are the otaku when politics is concerned? ROTFL XP

REDKINOKO said...

Legitimize blog bashing? Haha idolngbayan, you devil you. *evil grin*

I'll think about it for future posts. For now, let's just say the blog is in the pinoytopblogs rank of around 140-160.

>:]

Anonymous said...

Besides the highbrowed opinions, there's also the behavior wherein expats think that any product which came from the Promised Land is entirely superior to ours.

Like the time when my my father did a favor to one expat, and the expat returned the favor by sending a package of sundry goods, some of which aren't even new, for godssake. Basta may maibigay lang.

It's also like the obligatory corned beef and toiletries balikbayans dole out whenever they come back here for vacation. Any product, no matter that we have the same kind and quality of products here, are superior if it came from the West. Like the way the expat thought that the old scruffy stuffed toy he sent is better than my Blue Magic killer bears. Ha.

Anonymous said...

This is a nice entry. This should become a flier sent to every Pinoy home abroad. Especially in US.

After 2 months here in Holland, I really want to go home. It's true that life is easier here and I cannot blame those people who decided to come over too and work... anyway.

I suddenly loved the life back then and the way we fought for food every single day.

Share: 1 in every 10 Hollanders you meet in the street is a racist. Now, I agree that I'd rather starve in the Philippines than to buy some fries out there with that cold feeling from the vendor who just can't accept he's selling those food to an Asian.

Gah, I miss home.

Anonymous said...

'this blog is sucks' LMAO, i guess common sense isn't really that common.

REDKINOKO said...

@iman

Two months in any country will have you wanting to go back home (this with me having stayed in HK, with other Filipinos to boot). I bet these people feel that too, they're just too politically correct to admit it.

Anonymous said...

I like red's blog. A lot of good information and funny post can be read here. And you can't just expect for other people to easily accept your opinions and ideals especially to those close minded people.

"Wala na ko magagawa dyan, ganyan na talaga yan"
(I can no longer do anything, it was just meant to be that way.)

P. S. If you don't like the content of the post then don't read it. It's better that way.

El Capitan said...

I thought the Key To Ultimate Knowledge is to cross the Greenwich Line, then the International Date Line, and then the Equator... twice.

Ah well.

 

Search This Blog

Most Reading