Red Recommends

Monday, January 01, 2007

I've done several reviews for films here. Actually, they're not really reviews. They're more like passing mentions of really sucky films that keep on reminding me why I shouldn't be watching movies in theaters. Well, I guess it's time to change that. For this post, I want to recommend a movie that I can be branded with Red's Quality Seal of Approval (it's somewhat similar to an Oscar, less formal, but theoretically just as presitigious). For the first RQSA, I'll be giving it to:


In case you don't understand French, the review above basically says "If The Lord of War were shown 70 years earlier, we wouldn't have lost to Germany." And if the French who pride themselves in nothing but taste can say that, Lord of War is definitely something already.

The story can be best described with just one quote from the film's screenplay:

There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?

And that's basically what the film is all about. Arms dealing, as seen by the narrative experiences of protagonist Yuri Orlov, an arms dealer specializing in dealing Russian arms to almost every major conflict in the world.

The plot does not meander, like how real men tell their stories.

I won't go on fully reviewing why this film kicks much ass. I'd just be wasting time you could be spending watching this film. Forget The Godfather and the pansy boxing scenes there. Lord of War delivers. Here's a short list of reasons why you should watch it:

- Guns, Drugs, Prostitutes, Black Presidents.
- Child soldiers.
- Enough quotes to make the guy who invented quotes orgasm to his death.
- Nicholas Cage get shot. Twice if you have a broad definition of the word shot.

Actually, you don't need any more reasons than the one that counts. The film requires you to use your brain while watching. That should be enough.

Now stop reading this and go watch already.

(oh if in case you're wondering why I havent been updating, that's because I'll be going to HK again for two weeks this coming tuesday and I have a lot of things to fix before I go)

No comments:

 

Search This Blog

Most Reading