Work Work Work

Thursday, September 21, 2006

This is an actual conversation with an officemate from HK. I'm blogging now because I feel that if I don't take a break, conversations like this will be more sporadic and worse in nature.

(23:54:08) Jet: are we allowed to install a newer version of java in the server
(23:55:32) ria@192.168.203.133: i think so
(23:56:17) ria@192.168.203.133: what are you thinking?
(23:56:37) Jet: im thinking if hitler had to use java he'd be using the same version of java we're using right now
(23:56:40) Jet: it's that old.

Worse bit of things is that I didn't even realize the "redkinoko" roleplaying is starting to seep into my regular work. Crossover. Yikes. Let's have a little trackback shall we?

I can remember exactly one year two months ago, I was in the very same condition that I'm in right now: Nth day of straight overtime, alone in the office, beating a senseless deadline that nobody will be taking not of anyway, inside an airconless room that doesn't even have a single electric fan. (for a company earning millions out of the brains of so few, apparently we can't even afford that. One of these days I'll be bringing a coin-op electric fan just for the sake of irony. Note to self: Offer suggestion to management first thing in the morning; Get rich quickly and go to Hawaii for vacation.)

The only difference one year and two months ago was that I made sure I ate dinner back then.

Call this one labor diet. Fuck Atkins. This is the ultimate diet.

Stress + no food + sauna-like environment = lost pounds.

I remember exactly one year and two months ago, I made my very first resignation letter for the same circumstances I find myself in right now. Somehow, ulcer did not least bit look like an appealing reward for hardwork. Hardcore hard-work is a myth. Good workers die young. I even remember how the verbal notification went. I remember pulling off the ultimate work-related joke of my career.

Disgruntled Kinoko: Knock Knock
Manager: Who's there?
Disgruntled Kinoko: Not me anymore.

I remember exactly losing someobody I loved just because I was too hardheaded to leave behind a job that was obviously killing me for no great cause whatsoever. (I invoke my right to be occasionally stupid).

I remember, but it's not like I can change my lot a lot if I did left earlier then or left now. That much I've learned already. I'll make do with what I got. Because dedication is a sticker you can only transfer so many times before it loses grip entirely. Right, Riina?

A day's work for a day's pay. Anything less is stealing.

That's probably the only sensible status message I've read this year. Thanks Jo. Sometimes I think whether I'm doing more than what Im getting paid for or actually doing less. I have a good answer to that everytime but I'd rather not say it here. I should start acting what's expected for somebody of my years of experience/salary. That way, everything's fair trade.

*

Work is never pleasant. The office is not a place for makebelieve families. If God intended man to stay 15 hours inside an office, he would have created man with a necktie attached. If work is indeed pleasant, nobody would ask to get paid.

Final JAR file has been compiled. I'm going home and sleep it off.

There are days when I think that it's manifest destiny that led me to this job of mine.

Today ain't one of those days.

Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.

Some days.

No comments:

 

Search This Blog

Most Reading